Dear Running Journal
Unfortunately, week # 14 did not go as planned. I had a successful 20-mile run last Sunday on Feb 5th, which rounded out Week #13. However, as I got into the next week, I hit a couple of obstacles.
First, I rested on Monday. Tuesday, I got out at lunchtime a completed a decent 5-miler.
Wednesday morning, I was up and at 'em to face some very cold weather - around 15 degrees (I think I expected mid-20's!). In hindsight, I underdressed for the 6-miler that I completed. At the end, I was very cold. Something didn't feel right. I was shivering.
That afternoon, it was clear that I was coming down with a serious cold. I left work early to try to get home and rest. Not sure if it was simply from underdressing, but that's my suspiscion.
For Thursday, I decided I needed to rest further. I was congested, tired and achey for the entire day. I definitely had a cold and a mild fever. My throat was killing me and I was miserable. Plus, work has been intense this week as we prepare for our annual Strategic Plan.
Friday, I worked from home most of the day. Thinking one day of rest would be enough, I decided to try to get back out on the road for at least a 5-miler in the mid-afternoon. I realized after two miles that it was too early. My breathing was awful. I kept spitting out mucus every 15 seconds. I came in after three miles.
Saturday, I still needed rest and recovey. Plus, I was scheduled for a 20k race on Sunday, on top of which I had planned to run another 5. This was going to be my last long run -- exactly two weeks before the marathon.
Well, I was still sick... AND, everyone knows what happened on the East coast on Sat night/Sun morning. We received 20" of the white stuff. The race was cancelled. I didn't leave the house for 48 hours.
SO, FOR THE WEEK... I had three measley runs totaling 14 miles and I missed a long race/run. Not how I had hoped.
Today is Monday, Feb 13th at 9:23 PM ET. I am feeling slightly better but not completely recovered. With the main roads still entrenched by snow banks -- and the subdivisions still not plowed, running outside was not an option today.
So, I headed into the gym today to try to get back on to my feet. I did a cross-training routine: 3 miles on the tread / 10 minutes on the ellipitical / 10 minutes on the bike.
I do not think I will make up the 18-miler now. I am supposed to taper now. Should I try for maybe a 12-14 miler mid week? The roads will be a mess until it warms up on Thurs-Friday. I think I will run some steady 7-8 milers and get plenty of rest. The 20k that was cancelled on Sunday is supposed to be made up this weekend. Not sure if I should do it or not.
I'm at a crossroads. It's gut check time with race 12 days from tomorrow morning.
Monday, February 13, 2006
Dear Running Journal