Sunday, October 26, 2008

Kicking into full gear - 16 weeks out

The Austin Marathon is sixteen weeks from today. I am focused on this race -- and this race only. I have no other races of any distance planned at this point before 2/15/09.

I modeled this past week of training after the Pfitzinger "up to 70 miles" program while intentionally shaving some miles. I wanted to ramp up a little more gradually to reduce injury risk, since I ran a marathon P.R. only three weeks ago today. I hit 48 out of the 56 miles scheduled this past week without any issue.

I enjoyed a steady 17-miler yesterday through the autumn foliage at Waterfall Glen, which is a beautiful nature preserve. Splits were pretty consistent and averaged 7:41 for the entire run, with only one short stop.

Beginning tomorrow, I will use the Pfitz 70mpw plan as my base program. I will make some adjustments that will increase the amount of lactate threshold workouts. Later on, I will make sure I get plenty of goal pace miles, and maybe even a simulated 1/2 marathon on the treadmill.

The number of miles does not seem to faze me. It's a logical progression for me. OK, I admit that running 70 miles the week of Christmas sounds a bit daunting. However, it is the scheduling that stresses me more.

Now that we have a young child, I have to look at my time management very differently. With both parents working, planning is absolutely crucial to hit all the miles -- especially in the 55-70 mpw range. There's little margin for error.

Here is this week's plan, which includes a family visit to Rhode Island later in the week.

Mon 10/27 - 5:45 AM - Treadmill: 9 mi w/4 at tempo pace (target 6:30-6:35)
Tue 10/28 - 5:30 PM - 14 miles GA outside - target 7:40-7:45 pace
Wed 10/29 - Noon - 5 miles on tread - Recovery pace: 8:40-8:50
Thu 10/30 - 5:15 PM - 11 G.A - target 7:40-7:45
Fri 10/31 (Boo!) - 5:45 AM - 5 recovery on treadmill . Travel to RI for sis-in-law visit.
Sat 11/1 - 7:30 AM - 15 miles in North Kingstown, RI
Sun 11/2 - REST

Scheduled total mileage: 58 miles

I am early on in this journey and there is a tremendous amount of work to be done. However, I been here before. I've got the mindset, experience and focus to achieve yet another milestone.

I will run a sub-3-hour marathon on February 15th, 2009 in Austin, Texas.

3 comments:

Darrell said...

That's some schedule, down to the time you are going to get started.

Stay focused and flexible and you'll be great.

jen said...

Great post. You're so focused, I know you will get that sub-3!

Looks like your treadmill is going to be key for getting all the workouts in. Smart!!

yumke said...

Already on your next training cycle. You are a machine!

Good luck. I did the Pfitz 70 and I think it really helped my fitness and running Although didn't pay off on the marathon course (yet) I think it took me one step further in my running. I think the Thursday run (I think there was usually a 5 mile recovery) could be trimmed back so you can focus on more quality work? I dunno, can't wait to hear what you have to say about the program