Sunday, February 21, 2010

Aiming for a 2:54 at the Little Rock Marathon

I am excited to share that all training indications suggest that I am in, once again, the best marathon shape of my life. Bring on marathon #18!

It is will documented that my running blogging career has plummeted to an all-time low. Nevertheless, I keep running onward, which my training log will clearly show.

So far, in 2010, I have run 506 miles, of which 90% have been run on a treadmill. I am pleased to report that they have been extremely high quality miles, to say the least.

Mark my words: I will run a 2:54 or better at the Little Rock Marathon in exactly two weeks from today.

Bold prediction? Sure, it is. But why not, right? Why shouldn't I just lay it all out there? I've run my ass off the last twelve weeks.

A couple of my major highlights include running a simulated 10k on the treadmill at 37:04; as well as running a 15 miles at race pace of 6:40 with several incline intervals throughout the run. And that's just a couple of indicators.

Bottom line is that I have been nailing all of my key workouts consistently such that even Pete Pfitzinger, my training counselor (unbeknownst to him), would be beaming with pride.

I set my personal weekly mileage record not once, but twice, in recent weeks. In January, I celebrated a 78-mile week. Not to quit there, just last week, I finally achieved that seemingly implausible target of 80 miles in a single week. And yes, 100% of those miles came on a treadmill.

I live in the Chicago suburbs and it can get cold, snowy, windy and downright nasty here. The treadmill has become a running way of life.

Some may think that all of these treadmill miles might not translate to race results. I had that exact same concern last year - just before I smashed my PR by 7 minutes at Austin 2009 after doing 90+% of my training mileage on a treadmill.

OK, have I put myself under enough pressure? Whatever happens, it's been a great training season in the comfortable confines of my basement training room.

12 comments:

Queenie said...

Running on the treadmill is the only way I have trained in the winter since I began running seriously. I lived in Minnesota, Ohio, and now the Chicago burbs and am not a fan of cold weather. Training on the treadmill last year helped me get a PR. Good luck in Little Rock!

jen said...

I definitely believe that your treadmill miles will translate (again) to a super fast race. You are fit, strong, and VERY dedicated to your training, and the location of your kick-ass runs is not an issue. You're going to nail it, I have no doubt. Good luck!!

Sean Faulk said...

I live in MN and have been running for 7 years and almost all my miles come on the treadmill for a variety of reasons - weather, family commitments, and often because there is something I want to watch on TV:) As long as you are experiencing success, keep it up. I am still working at the sub 3 goal and your blog is a great resource. Good luck in Little Rock!

Sean

institute of lraqi scholars & academician said...

thank you very much

E-Speed said...

glad your running has been going so well! Hopefully I will join the ranks of your sub 3 prowess in 4 weeks!

Yuri said...

I prefer running on the treadmill as well. It's more controlled and scientific. However, when you run outside again it's a whole new experience.

Yuri
Interval Running Man

AnaVar said...

Hi! I just discovered the site, and reading older posts.. I enjoyed going through it and will visit you again soon! I started to run this spring and I hope I'll make it a habit. Nice day! Ana V.

Daniella McConnell said...

Exercise is a huge component of staying fit and healthy and while it’s so great to take advantage of the nice weather and run outside when that is possible in Chicago, it’s also great to find free classes in the city that people can take advantage of! Chicago Hero Fitness is offering a free class with one of their trainers! Details are here: http://bit.ly/afCzy3 Complimentary of Billy Dec!

zbsports said...

Aim high it is not bad. Your determination will leads you to success. Good luck to you.

mizuno shoes said...

I prefer running on a treadmill. It gives me extra energy to do so. Nice blog! :)

CharieT said...

Treadmill training is the best way to go for many reasons. Weather, accidents, saving time and i could go on and on. I am a fan of nature too, but when it comes to hard-core training you may get it done easier on a treadmill. I recently got a watch to pair it with my indoor training, check it out: Garmin Forerunner 110 Review
keep up the hard work!

Training For Half Marathon said...

Great post, I love reading about your marathon running events! Boston marathon had the fastest ever pace done by a Kenyan runner.

Please can you write about your first marathon training program. Thanks!