Sunday, November 12, 2006

Flash of resilience

Just yesterday, I wasn't feeling too confident about my plan to run a good half mary in Vegas on Dec 10th. I carried the weight of taking on too much.

The doubt, combined with my cold, and just the uneasiness of pushing myself back into the rigor of training for a goal took a psychological toll on me the last couple of days (as was evidenced from Friday's post).

I got out yesterday with a plan to do 4.5 miles, see how I felt, and then try to stretch it to 12 after a GU/water stop if my body was up for it. Let's just say that my run ended at 4.5. The winds were whipping and I was simply tired.

Enter today. I knew I needed a solid double-digit mile run if I had a prayer to get ready for the Vegas half. The weather conditions were milder and I decided to head up the Prairie Path.

I had planned to do 10. In the end, I ran my own private half marathon today. With some decent pace to boot (final mile of 6:31). Monster comeback from the depths of doubt that I was feeling yesterday.

Total miles: 13.1 - Total time: 1:39:00 - Pace: 7:33 per mile

(click image to see the splits)


I've learned about how difficult our cycles can be on us runners. I've also learned not to underestimate my ability to rebound back after feeling down and out.

I may be running that Vegas half after all. Next week is crucial.

Recap of 11/6/06 week

Mon 11/6 - 3.0 miles - hard and fast
Tue 11/7 - None
Wed 11/8 - Travel / None
Thu 11/9 - 7.5 miles (est) - Norwalk
Fri 11/10 - 5.5 miles recovery - Back home
Sat 11/11 - 4.5 miles @ 7:55 pace
Sun 11/12 - 13.1 miles - 7:34 pace - Prairie path

Total: 33.6 miles

Plan for 11/13 week - Goal of 40 miles

This week will be challenging with travel to visit family in Denver for the weekend. I know that Sunday's 14-miler will be difficult with the time of the day, but I'm going to give it my best.

Mon 11/13 - Rest
Tue 11/14 - 6 miles w/tempo - 3 miles at 6:45 pace
Wed 11/15 - 10 miles - early AM
Thu 11/16 - 6 - Leave for Denver in the evening
Fri 11/17 - Rest - In Denver visiting family
Sat 11/18 - 4 miles easy - Denver visiting family
Sun 11/19 - Evening 14 miler -Flight lands in Chicago at 4:30 - This run will start no earlier than 6PM - in the dark & cold. Can I do this?

If flight is delayed, will push a long run to Monday morning.

2 comments:

yumke said...

I like your tempo speed... good luck with the mileage.. it's

MNFirefly said...

WAY TO GO! Wow! How awesome!