Monday, March 24, 2008

Light week needed to recover

This past week's training was fairly uneventful and a bit lighter than planned. Most notably, I found that I needed more recovery time after last Sunday's half marathon. I was sore for a couple of days afterward and have been struggling to feel really fresh all week (did that sentence sound like a commercial for some sort of a feminine product?).

In fact, on Tuesday's evening run, I simply ran out of gas. Strange to bonk on a short run, but doing the 5x600's when I was not recovered from the race must have zapped me.

Recap of 3/17 week:

Monday - Rest

Tuesday - 5x600m repeats - Did the repeats for a total of 4 in the sweltering, humid gym. Then decided to finish up outside. Struggled and finished with just under 8.

Wednesday - 11 miles steady - 7:48 pace. No stops.

Thursday - Rest

Friday - Gym treadmill. Ran 5 miles at close to 8k target pace (6:20) in intervals : 2.5 / 1.5 / 1 mi with 2:00-2:30 in btw each - total of 7.3 for the day

Sat - 18.4 miles at the Aboretum - guesstimate of 7:40 per

Sun - Rest

I decided to opt out of Sunday's "recovery" run - largely because I felt I need some inactive recovery as opposed to the active kind.

Total mileage was 44 this past week.

I slept well last night and did a recovery 6 this morning. I hope to hit a good speed workout of 4x1200m in the morning.

Goal mileage for this week is only 41, since I will push the 21-miler to Monday due to the 8k race on Sunday. I should be back in the mid-50's next week right before taper.

3 comments:

wayfool said...

hey no sweat man... at least you got some mileage in! My shin was sore and all I did was cross-train. Take it as a sign that your body needs the recovery.

Firefly's Running said...

Wow! What an awesome week!

jen said...

Very smart to take the rest when you feel you need it. Great job! :)