Sunday, March 05, 2006

Back in the saddle and daydreaming

Sat, March 4, 2006

I was able to muster up enough determination to get out and enjoy my first run since last week’s marathon. It was a beautifully bright and clear day in Connecticut yesterday. The winds were ever-present but manageable.

I just wanted to get through 4 or 5 miles to get some exercise and build my confidence. I find the all of my early post-marathon runs require some patience and more effort than before the marathon. Just part of the recovery process, I suppose.

TIME 33:11
EST DIST 4.26
EST PACE 7:47
AVG HR 159

Sun, March 5, 2006

Today was bright and sunny as yesterday – but a tad warmer and there was not a cloud in the sky. For some strange reason, I felt compelled to go at least 7 or 8 miles today at a very easy pace.

I had been reading about how I need to focus on slower paced long runs, and I decided what better time than to start today.

I began my run at 2:37 PM. I felt really good and I jogged along at a pace that ranged anywhere from 8:20-9:00 per mile. I was comfortable and at ease.

Along the way, I felt a sense of inspiration. I had been thinking about whether or not I should go after that BQ time in Chicago later this year. I was thinking about how, while it has been a set of great personal accomplishments to complete six marathons, that I truly never tested myself.

Much of my marathon training over the past 5 years has been largely recreational and, though reasonably well-planned, haphazard at times. That’s fine when you’re only goal is to finish or achieve a PR that you know you can get with just a little more effort the next year. Well, the PR streak ended this year and it was a wake-up call.

I had a vision about making our move to Chicago and getting settled in. Then, going to Mexico for vacation in early June. I would begin a 20-week regimen on June 5th that would be the most intense and committed that I would ever undertake. I could see myself putting in most of my runs in the early mornings.

I daydreamed that, by the time September rolled around, Jennifer (my wife) might even be pregnant. Wouldn’t that be great inspiration for the race in October?

I snapped out of my daydream and kept breezing along at that varied 8:30-8:50 pace range. I ventured to some new territory in Westport where I gazed a multi-million dollar homes as I passed. Before I knew it, I had knocked out about 5 miles.

I kept rolling enjoying the afternoon. I had a close call about 45 minutes in when I stepped on a huge crack on the edge of the road that caused me to twist my ankle. Luckily, I didn’t put much weight on it in my stride and I walked it off.

After about an hour of running, I decided that it would be quite a successful day if I completed 10 miles only one week after my marathon. I don’t think I have ever run double-digit miles after only one week of any marathon I have run. This was a first.

I’ll keep thinking about that Chicago BQ plan and how amazing it would be to achieve it. I’ll keep in it mind, but it is not a commitment that I would take lightly. This is why I need more time to think about it and decide how I would even take on such a goal.

TIME 1:25:11
EST DIST 10.0
EST PACE 8:31
AVG HR 152

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's great to hear your plans and that you slowed down a bit today and hopefully smelled the roses. You certainly have plenty of time to think about a BQ in Chicago and it sounds like you are not taking it lightly. The first time I attempted it I bombed the last six miles and came in at 3:13. My advice is if you are shooting for 3:10 don't go out the first half in 1:30. Take it easy.