Sunday, June 24, 2007

DG 10M Race Results - CHASING SUB-THREE

I ran the DG 10-miler one year ago in 1:11:52 (7:11/mile). My goal going into today’s race was to break 1:09.

I did not think I had enough speed work in me to break 1:08, which is where I wanted to be several weeks ago when planning my training. The Wheaton 10k three weeks ago – a 41:52 in very warm temps - made me question if I could do much better than 1:09. However, the conditions were much better today – mid 60’s and no beaming sun.

In the end, I shaved off 4:09 from last year’s result and broke 1:08. Miles 9 and 10 were 6:25 and 6:12 respectively. The DG course was reasonably hilly as well – especially by Chicago area standards.

I had an awesomely strong second half. It was a killer negative split. I dropped a lot of runners during the last 2 miles.

Downer's Grove 10-mile results - 6/24/07
First 5 miles - 34:35
Second 5 miles - 33:08
Finish time: 1:07:43 (6:46/mi)

Today's run was a real confidence boost. I hoped I would be able to run this kind of race today so that I could be sure I am progressing toward a 1:26 half in August, which is about where I need to be for a 3:00 marathon.

Recap of 6/18 week - 15 weeks to go

Mon 6/18 – 10 miles - 7:40 pace – Pretty strong run – BNL concert
Tue 6/19 – Early flight to NY -- 4 mile eve run – approx 8:00 pace

Wed 6/20 – 8 miler - 7:49 pace - hilly run in Norwalk CT

Thu 6/21 – Rest / Fly back home
Fri 6/22 – 8 miler – 7:40 pace
Sat 6/23 – Treadmill recovery run – 4 miles - 8:35 avg pace
Sun 6/24 – 10 mile race (6:46/mi) – 3 miles recovery 8:38 pace = 13 total

TOTAL MILEAGE: 47

We are seven weeks away to the Chicago Distance Classic, where the new goal will be 1:25:59. I plan to average 55 mpw between then and now.

Good news in that I am not traveling for work this week. I plan to get up to 50+ miles this week for the first time since in March before Boston.

I am torn on when to start the intense speed work on the track. Pfitzinger’s plan only prescribes strides in Mesocycle 1(first six weeks of the 18 weeks). I think I will try some track work to see if I can set my 5k PR on July 12.

Plan for 6/25 week

Mon 6/25 – 7 miles – recovery + gen aero
Tue 6/26 – 10 miles - Speed work: 400m track repeats
Wed 6/27 - REST
Thu 6/28 – 10 miles general aerobic
Fri 6/29 – 7 miles - Recovery
Sat 6/30 – 17 miles long – plan to run 7:40-50’ish
Sun 7/1 - REST

TOTAL MILEAGE TARGET: 51 miles

I can run a sub-three hour marathon. There is lots of work to do, but I am making progress toward this amazing goal.

10 comments:

MNFirefly said...

Way to go! Congrads on the new PR!

Arcane said...

Nice job with the race and the negative split.

Darrell said...

Awesome job at the 10 miler, especially the 2nd half, wow!!

wayfool said...

nice job on the race! Looks like you had a lot left in the tank!

jen said...

Whoa!! You are incredibly fast. Beautiful race, man. Nice negative split. You can so run sub 3. :)

Big Jay said...

You're an animal. That's all I can say. :) Anytime I need my daily dose if "get off yer ass inspiration" I know I can find it here. Awesome negative split.

And...I think we should open the tables for a discussion about a FF in your 'hood.

Chad said...

Awesome. Gotta love those confidence boosting races.

yumke said...

That's awesome.. I believe ya can go sub 3.. negative split in a long race.. wow..

Nitmos said...

That's a smokin' last mile! Since you ripped a 6:12 10th mile, you obviously had something left in the tank. It looks like you are well on your way to a 1:26 half.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the great race, Ryan. Definitely a big confidence booster. With your positive attitude and solid training you are moving in the right direction towards a sub-3.