Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Wk #2 start: 8 miles w/strides - and learning to blog

For as long as I can remember, I’ve been always “above average” in understanding geekie, techie stuff. I went to a computer ‘camp’ in third grade if you can believe that. But, somehow, I fell behind the curve in the blog world.

Truth is that I’m getting a little jealous of all your running blogs with kick-ass features. Fact is I don’t know how to do any of it.


  • Simple things like linking someone else’s name to your blog. [I had to look this one up while I was writing this...]
  • And how do you guys post your upcoming races and PR's on the sides? I guess I need to learn HTML.
  • It was a major accomplishment to get that profile pic up there. I’m guessing your just doing the insert pic thing? (All right, admission here, haven’t really tried to post more pics).
  • Not that I want to even go to the effort, but seriously, how the hell are you getting music videos on your blogs? (Bob & Tara)
  • Lastly, I can't even fathom how to get the custom template pics at the top of the page?
So I need to research these things. In addition to my fellow bloggers viewing to ensure I keep improving toward my running goal, I feel a certain "responsibility" to be more blog-savvy as well.

TODAY'S FIRST: The blog link

On to today’s run...


I come to learn from Zeke (see that!) that strides are not intended to be speed workouts. Say what? I thought I was supposed to be doing these things FAST. Unfortunately, I read that after this morning’s run.

I did 8 miles with 10 x 100 m strides in my usual street running here in the western ‘burbs. My approach was to do 3 easy at around 8 min per mile . I estimated that 100m at 6:00 min pace would be about 23 secs. So I did 23 seconds are and then slowed to a slow jog until my heart reached 150 bpm. So I am guessing now that I may have overdone it?

6:26 AM Start CDT
Time: 1:02:10
Distance: 8.0
Pace: 7:46
Avg HR: 155
Conditions: Excellent – cool and clear and comfy
Sleep: OK – only got 7 hrs


The aftermath: Slightly tired this afternoon

6 comments:

mouse said...

oooohhhh... looks like someone else is following Pfitz! I hate those $#%$#@^%-ing strides. so much.

but yeah, I think what Zeke means is that they're intended to train your body to use correct form, rather than focusing on speed. If you have the AM book, it's at the top of page 30. I didn't get what the point of them was until I read that.

and you don't have to feel pressured to become more blog savvy. I webmaster for a living, and I don't do a whole lot of customization to my blog (who wants to do the same work when they get home that they do all day?! not me.). but, if you want to know how to do any of that stuff, I could probably help you out. but this comment is already getting waaay too long...

Thomas said...

Strides might not count as a speed workout, but you still have to run them FAST. As fast as you can while still maintaining good running form. The "good form" bit is the crucial aspect of it. Allow plenty of recovery between them. You can even walk if you have to, they are not meant to be a cardiac workout.

I always did them wrongly myself, it was only a few weeks ago that someone pointed me into the right direction.

Oh, and all those things you mention (PRs, links and videos on the sidebar, pics at the top) come down to editing your template in HTML. It's actually pretty easy once you know how.

SRR said...

You know what I think it is Buddy? Certain bloggers have way too much free time and are able to research HTML code all day at work. Ummm...yeah, I'm included in that bunch. But you're right...you do need to link people Ahem...me up to your sidebar otherwise you'll lose readers. **hee hee hee** Seriously, that one is realtively pretty easy...just click on "Edit Me" in the side bar and follow the directions.

Chad said...

Alright, it looks like a little clarification is in order or strides. They should be done fast but not all-out fast. I'd say around 2-mile race pace, so maybe 6-min pace is okay for you. Don't go into over-think here.

Wetmore (U of Colorado coach) would call them a neuromuscular workout. Getting the legs to remember what it's like to go fast.

The main point is that it's not enough of a hard workout to really negatively affect your long run the next day - at least it shouldn't be.

As for HTML I think it comes down to free time. I don't have time to just sit and tinker with my blog. And I kind of think the videos are annoying, especially when they start over after reading the comments and going back to the blog. I always stop them right away.

Chad said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Triseverance said...

Ryan

My take on strides is run them hard, 90%. It's in essence a strength workout to build some strengh in the trunk and recruit some fast twitch muscle into your running.

I put them at the end because I like to get a nice steady aerobic run in and then do strides with realllllyyyyy slow jogging or walking between until I am fully recovered. By the time you get to the late stages of the Pfitz plan you will be so used to them that they will not neg, effect your long run the next day.

However my advice is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Blog tinkering is nothing more then copying and pasting HTML into your template. Simple stuff really. I have alot of fun with my blog, keeps it interesting.