Sunday, July 01, 2007

Week 4 Complete - Bring on July

I am pleased to report that I did complete a strong 18-mile workout yesterday. This run gave me my first 50-mile week since the week of March 5 during Boston training. I recall that after the 20-miler that week, my IT band syndrome was bothering me. I think I am pretty healthy right now.

The weather conditions in the Chicago area yesterday were perfect. I ran with the CARA group for 13 miles – and then ventured off on my own for another 5. Heart rate was in check and physical endurance was tested toward the end - but that's to be expected.

If you count last Sunday, I just completed a 63-mile week. I know that’s kind of cheating, but it gives an indication of my strong base-building progression.

Our CARA group leader, Jim, told me about a 5k that is scheduled in nearby Joliet for July 12. Initially, I was planning to run the Niketown 5k race downtown. However, if it was anything like the Nike Run Hit Wonder last year, I know it won’t be a good event for a time trial. Too many casual fun runners and not designed for speed.

So the Joliet 5k is interesting since it’s a smaller, local race. Jim said the competition is not very strong. I checked last year’s results and he was right – my 19:32 PR last year at this time would have tied me for first place in my age group. I’m in better shape than last year. I think I can break sub-19 right now. I’m going to go to Joliet to see if I can win my age group. My goal will be to run 6 to 6:05 pace. Wow, that sounds really scary – AND painful.

Plan for this week to run in the 53-56 mile range before stepping back next week. Not sure how I am going to structure the week as yet. Probably something like 7+11+0+11+6+20+0 (M+T+W+Th+Fr+Sat+Sun) = 55’ish. This would tie me for my biggest Mon through Sun week (without counting last week’s Sunday long run). July will be my first ever 200+ mile month.

5 comments:

Darrell said...

Nice job meeting your running goals with all the other stuff going on. It sure can be a challenge sometimes. Also very cool that you are feeling strong as you hit and ramp on up past 50 mpw.

Unknown said...

Sounds like your in good shape and spirits heading into July. Well done on the training tip.

Iron Jayhawk said...

I've definitely got the mojo to win your age group. :)

I can't wait to hear how you smoke everyone.

Congrats on another stellar week in running!

MNFirefly said...

You know that you do it! Smoke the competition!

jen said...

Hope you had a great 4th! Good luck in that 5k next week, no doubt you'll smoke 'em. :)